As a program, A Story prides itself in empowering storytellers in our fantastic city of Aurora, Colorado to take back our narrative by supplying the stories of our beautiful struggles through a lens of deep authenticity. We strive to deplete mental health stigma, dropkick stereotypes and celebrate our differences, adversities and how we benefit from living in one of the most diverse environments in the world.
Poem(ME) is an A Story series featuring poetry and its intersection with graphic, sonic and visual arts across the Aurora Public Schools landscape. This project aims to celebrate individualism in convergence by attracting APS student creators, ographers, tellers, musicians, crafters and igniters to cross-pollinate media forms. With high frequency, we plan to post these unique concoctions on the A Story website.
What we are looking for:
We are looking for stories of resilience, triumph through hardship, intergenerational narratives, and stories about dreams, told either through poetry, short story, photography, art, videography, or music.
We welcome submissions from all students within the Aurora Public School District. Submissions can be made at any time, but please be sure to follow our submission guidelines.
Submission Guidelines for Students
- We only accept submissions from students within the Aurora Public School District.
- Before submitting, make sure you have a copy of your work saved.
- Poems and short stories: All submissions must be double-spaced. Please use the Submission Box below to copy and paste your story and hit submit! If you prefer to upload an attachment, it must be a Microsoft Word document, and font should be size 12 and either Times New Roman, Arial or Helvetica. Please include a heading with your first and last name, grade level, and school.
- Photographs and artwork: All photography and artwork must be submitted in a JPEG format or PDF. Please use the “Attachment” function on the Submission Box below.
- Music: If you would like to submit a musical piece, please upload it to the “Attachment” function on the Submission Box. The file should be a .MP3.
- Film: Upload your film to the “Attachment” function of the Submission Box in a standard format or paste the YouTube or Vimeo link inside the box.
- If you are having trouble using the Submission Box, please give your submission to your teacher and ask them to submit it on your behalf.
- We do not accept submissions that include expletives, sexual content, or hate speech (hate speech defined as language that attacks a person or group for attributes such as race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, or disability). A Story is a program that operates in cooperation with the Aurora Public School District, and we ask all those who submit stories to act appropriately and respectfully.
Submission Guidelines for Teachers
- Please consult the guidelines above if you plan to use the Submission Box on your student’s behalf.
- If you would prefer to email the submission, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org in the proper format, and include the student’s name, grade level, and school. Feel free to include any other information you think important pertaining to the student or submission.